A Book Worth Its Weight In… Ads?
After reading Perry Marshall’s book on 80/20 Sales And Marketing, I was pumped about marketing, so I ordered his book about Google Ads. The 80/20 book was a relatively quick read, and very practical for a business that’s already running with customers. I expected something similar from the Google Ads book, but instead it turned out to be more of a “textbook” read. That’s not to say that it wasn’t great, it was just heavier (physically and intellectually) than I had anticipated. Nonetheless, I read it cover to cover, and took notes on all the material I found relevant for a new business: customers, validation, and growth.
Changed Order, Same Content
The book is structured differently than how I would apply it, which is customers –> validation –> growth, so I reorganized the material in the presentation below to match. However, the original notes in order of the book are also available in a Google Doc (not presentation format) that you can access here, preview at end.
Work In Progress, All Comments Welcome
Disclaimer: as a self-proclaimed “entrepreneur”, I’m still learning all the time. So this order may not be the best, but it’s what made the most sense to me in attempting to validate a new concept. I’d love to hear your thoughts on it as well, especially if anything stands out that should be changed. It’s always a work in progress as far as I’m concerned.
The Really Short Version
My 6-point summary of Marshall and Todd’s Ultimate Guide to Google Adwords:
- Formulate a first version of your business hypothesis.
- Identify potential customers and talk with them; understand their business processes, their goals, their pain points.
- Refine your hypothesis to what your customers actually need.
- Develop and optimize Google Ads that speak to pain points.
- Refine sales process based on Google Ads lessons (what makes people click?).
- With a robust Ad-to-Sale process, scale up with Google tools, social media, and email marketing.
Thanks for reading!
The full notes are below, and you can download them here.